Saturday, July 20, 2013

Mouloudji - Renoir - Hillock's lament


Original Title: "Complainte de la Butte"
Text: Jean Renoir
Music: Georges Van Parys
Song from the movie "French Cancan"
Year: 1954
Up St Vincent street, a poet and a stranger girl
Loved each others for a moment
But he never saw her again
This song he composed hoping that his stranger girl,
One morning of spring, will hear it
Somewhere at the corner of a street.

The moon, too livid, places a diadem on your red hair
The moon, too red, spills glory on your petticoat full of holes
The moon, too pale, carresses the opal of your unimpressed eyes
Princess of the street
Be welcome in my wounded heart

The stairs up to the hillock are hard on the poors
The wings of the mills protect the lovers

Little beggar, I feel your little hand
Which is looking for my hand
I feel your chest and your slender waist,
I forget my sorrow
I smell on your lips a scent of fever of malnourished child
And under your caress, I feel an ecstasy that annihilates me.

The stairs up to the hillock are hard on the poors
The wings of the mills protect the lovers

And here comes the rain, the moon dashes off
The princess as well
Under the moonless sky, I cry in the dark
My vanished dream

Cora Vaucaire's version:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...