Thursday, June 12, 2014

Léo Ferré - The spanish ship


Original Title: "Le bateau espagnol"
Year: 1954
I was a big ship sailing down the Garonne
Stuffed with smuggled goods and cramed with Spaniards
People who were looking were saluting the Madonna
That I had attached on the stern by the neck

One day I will go away very far in America
To give tons of gold to the Negros of cotton
I would be the thinking and poetic boat
And Bordeaux will collapse under my large pontoons

How long is the way to America
How long is the way to love
Happiness always come after sorrow
Don't worry my friend, I will be back
As the travels shape the youth
Don't worry my friend, I will grow old

Satisfy with ancient gold, bending under the tropics
One day I come back sails up front
Carrying new wheat with my cudgle hits
Alone better than a sailer I'd rape the wind
Harnesssed with Spaniards, sailing up the Garonne
I will come back home, bursting with glimmers
People would draw aside, saluting the Madonna
On the stern by the neck and of another color

How sweet is the way to Spain
How sweet is the way back
Happiness always come after sorrow
Don't worry my friend, I will come back
As the travels shape the youth
I will tell you my friend: your turn
Your turn.
Philippe Léotard's version (1994):

Jacques Douai's version (1955):

Jacques Bertin's version (1989):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...