Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Jean Arnulf - Day after day


Original Title:"Jour après jour"
Text: Martine Merri
Year: 1964

My life tears itself off page by page
Where is the time I've lost?
There is nothing left but images
Faded pictures, waned laughs
Drowned at the bottom of some marshes
And no one held them back

Regrets pile up one by one
The old frenzy is erased
I look deep in my mirror
The wrinkles of the last summer
The seasons pass one after the other
All my hopes have worn themselves out

Day after day, the days come back
I've been, I'll be, I am
Asleep at the hollow of the weeks
I've lost the taste of rain
And the flavour of the chrysanthemums
Sometimes wake me up at night

One by one the doors slam
Shut on a thousand and four loves
Nineteen sixty and four
I keep track day to day
Of the day when I would have to fight
To keep my last forever

I've climbed the steps one by one
Which leads to eternity
On the way, I've had feathers torn out
Who will be able to reattach them?
I'd like wings and the moon
To travel the other half

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...