Friday, May 24, 2013

Jacques Bertin - Luc Bérimont - Madam, at midnight (Christmas)




Original Title: "Madame à minuit (Noël)"


Madam, at midnight, do you think we stay up ?
Madam, at midnight, do you think we laugh ?
The wind of winter shouts in my ears
Christmas land, so white and alike
So poor, so old and so hard as well.

At the bottom of the night, the farms are dozing.
Padlocks drawed on the wine's flower
But the fire's flower ferments there and is awake
Like the sun at the hollow of the mills
Like the sun at the hollow of the mills

At the frozen streams, the stone is to split
In cold weather, there are no mad people anymore
The hour of midnight, that hour when we sing
will sting my heart way better than the holly
will sting my heart way better than the holly

I had countless loves, friends
Plaited laughs at the summer's sky
Then, here I'm alone, poking shadows
The winter's cartage took everything away
The winter's cartage took everything away

Why this Christmas, why those lights
Nothing else came but tears
I shan't bite in the bitter orange anymore
And the memory of you tears my heart
And the memory of you tears my heart

Madam at midnight, do you think we stay up ?
Madam at midnight, do you think we laugh ?
The wind of winter shouts in my ears
Christmas land, so white and alike
So poor, so old and so hard as well.
Marc Ogeret's version:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mouloudji - We have to live

Original Title: " Faut vivre " Despite the big eyes of the void "It's to better eat you, child" And the silence...