Saturday, February 21, 2015

Edith Piaf - The Crowd


Original Title: "La foule"
Year: 1957 (adapted from an Argentinian song of 1936)
I see again the city celebrating and frenzied
Suffocating under the sun and the joy
And I hear the music, the shouts, the laughs
which burst and bounce all around me

Distraught among those people who bump into me
Scatterbrained, distraugth I stay there
When suddenly I turn around, He steps back
And he crowd just throws me in his arms

Carried away by the crowd which drags us, carry us away
Crushed one against the other we only form a single body
And the stream effortlessly pushes us both chained up
And leaves us both radiant, intoxicated and happy

Carried away by the crowd which rushes forward and dances
A wild farandole our two hands remained united
And at times lifted up our two bodies embraced take off
And come down again, radiant, intoxicated and happy

And the joy splashed by his smile,
pierces me and splash back up deep inside me
But suddenly I utter a shout among the laughs
When the crowd comes to tear him away from my arms

Carried away by the crowd which drags us, carry us away,
Moves us away from one another, I fight and I struggle
But the sound of my voice suffocates in other people's laughs
And I scream of pain, of fury and of rage and I cry

And dragged by the crowd which rushes forward and dances
A wild farandole I am carried far away
And I clench my fists, cursing the crowd that is stealing from me
The man that it had given me and who I have never found again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...