Monday, August 4, 2014

Jean Ferrat - Aragon - I arrive where I am a stranger


Original Title: "J'arrive où je suis étranger"
Text: Louis Aragon
Year: 1994
Nothing is as precarious as living
Nothing is as passing as being
For frost, it's a bit like melting
And for the wind like being light
I arrive where I am a stranger

One day you pass the border
Where do you come from, but where are you going?
What matters tomorrow and what matters yesterday
The heart changes with the thistle
Everything is without rhyme or forgiveness

Brush your finger there on your temple
Touch childhood with your eyes
Better leave the lights low
The longer night suits us better
It is the bright day that is getting old

The trees are beautiful in autumn
But the child what has he become
I look at myself and I wonder
Of this unknown traveler
Of his face and his bare feet

Gradually you become silence
But not fast enough though
To not feel your dissimilarity
And on the yourself of yesteryear
Fall the dust of time

It takes a long time to age afterall
Causes the sand to leak through our fingers
It's like a cold water rising
It is like a shame that grows
A leather to shout for auction that we trim

It takes a long time to be a man, a thing
It takes a long time to give up everything
And do you feel the metamorphosis
That are happening inside of us
Making our knees slowly bend

Oh bitter sea, Oh deep sea
What is the time of your tides
How many years-seconds are required
For man to abjure man
Why, why those airs and graces

Nothing is as precarious as living
Nothing is as passing as being
For frost, it's a bit like melting
And for the wind like being light
I arrive where I am a stranger

All poems written by Louis Aragon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Léo Ferré - You never say anything

Original Title: " Tu ne dis jamais rien " Year: 1971 I see the world a bit like one sees the unbelievable This what the unbeli...